Thursday, August 04, 2005

BLAH.

Writing Quote of the day: "Originality is the art of concealing your sources."

First off, CONGRATULATIONS to my friend Michelle Miles, on completing her serial, Scars of Yesterday--what a major accomplishment!

Okay, I'm tired. I alternately researched and wrote my brains out yesterday. I'm struggling with this whole "mystery writing" thing. I can write Adventure, Romance, Horror, but Mystery--you have to be smart to write Mysteries!
It also requres your readers to take a leap of faith; faith that you will entertain them with a mystery that will keep them guessing enough until all is revealed at the end. Granted, these are 8-12 year olds I'm writing for, so I don't have to make it REALLY perplexing, but I have to add an element of fun or they won't read it.
Very challenging stuff, this middle-grade mystery writing. But it's also my saving grace. Whenever I write myself into a corner, I have to remind myself that KIDS will be reading my stories, not skeptical/cynical/callous adults. :-) So I can write myself out, and they will still believe.

It stormed all last night. I tossed and turned. I usually love storms, but when Hubby is gone they seem more sinister. My kids played so hard yesterday, they slept right through it.

We haven't had any major catastrophies on the kid front--I'm getting used to having Thing Three practically bald (since chopping his own hair) now, and I think the reason I was so sad was he had such nice hair before. I'm jealous of his hair. It's blond and thick and silky (like his father's) and well...I guess it's all moot because he doesn't have any hair anymore! BAH.

Today I think I'll drag the kids to the library. They've been bored out of their minds (I've been limiting their TV and Gamecube time) and they LOVE to read and love being read to, so I think I'll dust off the libarary cards and we'll have a go.

I just have to remember to take the books back on time...a feat I seldom accomplish.

1 comment:

Michelle Miles said...

The library sounds like fun! Thanks for the congrats. :)