Wednesday, July 28, 2010

I (EXPLETIVE) Hate North Carolina.

Well, okay, maybe I just hate the anal sphincter rules they have at the DMV. I shall explain:

So, I wake up bright and early and drive to Monroe (35 minutes away!) to get my driver's license this morning. I had called a few days before, and they told me all I needed was my WI driver's license, my social security card, proof of residence, and proof of insurance. Oh, and I had to take a written test, which I already knew. "Anything else?" I asked. "No, as long as you have those, you will be fine."

So, I get there this morning, and wait in (*sigh, super long*) line, and meet Broomhilda. She's sitting at the main desk, and two out of the six people in line in front of me are informed, by her, that they don't have correct documentation, and they need to come back. She's even rolling her eyes at these people, as if they are idiots. Nice.

But not ME. I have a file folder with all the documentation they require. When it's my turn in line, I start to tell her I just moved here and she interrupts me and says "I need to see your license and social security card."

I hand them over. She looks at them and shakes her head. "Do you have a passport, or a copy of your marriage license?"

Huh?

"Why do you need those?" I ask.

"Because here on your Wisconsin license your name is "Lara A. Blahblahblah." On your social security card, it only says "Lara Blahblahblah." We need something that tells us what that "A" stands for."

"You need a copy of my marriage license?"

"Yes."

"I just drove 35 minutes here. This is silly."

"Come back when you have it."

So, grumbling, I drive 35 minutes back home, and dig and dig and find a copy of my marriage license. The original, of course, is locked away in a safe deposit box at the bank. I drive the 35 minutes back, wait in line some more, watch her turn away other people, and when it's my turn, she takes the copy of my marriage license, sniffs and shakes her head.

"We need the ORIGINAL copy of the marriage license."

"Are you kidding me? (I'm aghast at this point.) "You said to bring a copy. THIS is a copy!"

"I said ORIGINAL or CERTIFIED copy, Ma'am."

"You merely said copy. You did not say certified or original!"

"Yes I did, ma'am, you weren't listening."

I asked to see a supervisor. She laughed at me and said she'd be glad to get one. Certainly this unreasonable woman was just trying to make my life difficult. She KNEW I had already driven two hours round trip--TWICE.

The supervisor was nice, but he wouldn't budge. He said I could have my social security card changed to match my Wisconsin license if that was faster. I was incredulous. I told him I had never, EVER had this much difficulty getting a simple driver's license. "Well, this is North Carolina," he told me.

I told him I didn't like North Carolina and stormed out. Immature, I know, but I had HAD it. And why the HELL can't the DMV for Union County be closer? I mean, REALLY???

All because of one middle initial. I hate my life. Maybe I'll just drive around with my Wisconsin license. LAME!!!!!

***UPDATE***
I found the right documentation, and went back. The lady told me I had the right stuff, but I'd probably not make it in since they were closing in an hour and a half. I took a number and went into the waiting room and there were at least 50 people waiting! Finally, at 4:20 (they closed at 4:30) they called my number. I took my test and passed! I was the VERY last one of the day. So, I have my NC driver's license!

I'm not a drinker, but if I were, I'd be at a bar right about now.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Hi Lara,

I wanted to share a documentary film project with you that might be of interest to you and your readers called Goals for Girls: The Movie. It is about a girls soccer team struggling to play in Argentina, where soccer is off-limits to women. It's a great project and the directors are seeking donations to support production!

www.goalsforgirlsthemovie.org.

Email me if you have any questions: emily@goalsforgirlsthemovie.org

Jennifer said...

I'm sooooooo ooo oo o sorry, Lara! What an awful day. I have to remind myself not to have a complete freakout when interacting with most government employees. And it still doesn't work.

Devon Ellington said...

I shall drink for you, dear.

Anything to support a pal in time of need. ;)

That is ridiculous.

So sorry you had to go through it. Bet I have to go through thirteen kinds of hell like that when I move, too, and have to get a new driver's license.

I hate giving up my NY license, especially since it counts as an international license, too, and not every state's license is accepted overseas.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Those ladies (if THAT'S what they really are) scare the crap out of me.

Luckily, I legally changed my name on my SS card while I lived in Maryland and didn't have to go through that.

BTW, Monroe DMV sucks as does the Idlewid branch. I drive 45 minutes to Polkton.