Monday, January 12, 2009

My Kid is a Potty Mouth

Ahhh, the joys of listening to a toddler learning to talk. They're so cute, aren't they? My twenty-month old is talking up a storm. Granted, a lot of it is "clear-only-to-him" gibberish, but it's starting to make more and more sense. For instance:

Me: (while I'm changing his diaper) Did you have a good sleep last night sweetie? Did you have any good dreams?

Him: Blah blah blah dinosaurs blah blah blah cuppie blah blah take a nap blah blah blah blah chocolate milk blah blah blah take a bath blah blah blah airplane blah blah coat and hat and go bye bye in the car blah blah Woody and Buzz Lightyear blah blah blah...

This is usually the response I get. He's very chatty.

Of course, there are the "unfortunate" times where he sounds like he's saying cuss words. Granted, he's NOT saying them, but some words just come out...sounding...dirty. Take Sunday. He was walking around the living room with a book in his hands saying the F-Word. No joke. Over and over and over. My nine-year old son was blissfully ignorant of this, since he was buried in his Nintendo DS, but my eight year old son came gleefully running up to me.

"Mom! Thing Four is saying the Eff Word!"

I rolled my eyes and walked up the baby to question him, and I asked him what he was doing.

"F***!" he said proudly. And he showed me his little book, on which a FROG sat on a lily pad. I said "Oh! A FROG! What does a frog say?" To which he responded:

"F*** says Ribbit!"

Of course my sons fell all over themselves laughing, and I had to make them leave, because since they had fallen all over themselves laughing, the baby decided it was VERY funny and he needed to dance around the room SINGING the F-word over and over.

I could have killed my boys. So I guess I need to keep the baby in the house and out of all public places until he can pronounce FROG correctly. Sheesh.

But I have had the same problem with babies in the past. When Thing Two was two years old I would never take him with me to the bank because they always handed out suckers and we would get twenty feet within the bank and he'd start to bounce up and down in his carseat and yell "F***ER!!!" over and over.

As the for the baby, I won't be taking any more "frog" books to church for a while...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear. I mean, it's funny, but I can see where you'd want to be cautious about where you take him! ;)

Michelle Miles said...

I can't help it - I'm giggling about this!! LOL!!!

Aimee said...

So funny...my college roommate's daughter said the same thing, only for the word "truck." Take comfort in that you're not alone.

Anonymous said...

HA! I've been there. My oldest used to say Firef*ck all the time. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

ROFL!

Anonymous said...

How about saying "sh.t down" to your dolls when you just wanted to tell them to sit down.
Mom