Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Hostage in my Home Part II

Ah, *stretch*. I just got the best eight hours of sleep of my life. I feel like a new person. Not like yesterday, where I was literally dragging my butt around, muttering to myself with teeth that were covered with fuzzy slippers from all the caffiene drinks I'd consumed.
Today is a new day! Up and at 'em!

...So, we left off on Saturday afternoon, where Larry, Curly and Moe had just gone down to paint the basement. First, they had to tape the basement, which took four hours (we went a little nuts with the nooks and crannies down there when we finished it) and I had to banish the kids upstairs to play so their tender ears would not hear all the cursing and shouting (that apparently are a "necessary" part of painting the basement). Even my hubby, who rarely curses, was dropping four-letter words with extreme regularity by the time I announced that it was 8pm and we needed to break to eat dinner. So, they came up to eat and I went down to inspect, and to my dismay, they were only 1/3 of the way finished.
Now, during this time, mind you, I had busied myself with moving EVERYTHING out of the upstairs rooms that were going to be painted: pictures, plants, small furniture, etc. I had also started taping with the blue painter's tape, so I had been just as busy. I asked them why it was going to slow (a mistake which I discovered is on par with the dreaded "So Honey, what did you do today?" question) and of course got my head bitten off and received several explanations at length as to why things were going so slow, including the excuse that my brother-in-law's toxic gastric emissions were causing hasty retreats by all, and were accounting for most of the lapses in painting.
We started up again after dinner, and finally, at THREE A.M., they announced that they were finished with the painting. I hobbled downstairs, and it looked good, except for all the outlets were pulled out and the wires were exposed. My brother-in-law (not the gaseous one), who is an amateur electrician, was changing out all the plates. Of course there were some slight problems, some of them he had wired wrong and weren't working, and he had to figure those out.
So, for the next two hours (in which he electrocuted himself not once but twice) he finally figured it out. Of course my husband and other gaseous brother had started to paint the sitting room--the emissions from my brother in law were so bad we were threatening to get the caulking gun from downstairs and caulk the offending orifice shut.
He said he couldn't help it, it was all damn Taco Bell's fault, and I had to resort to lighting matches and opening windows. And of course that was short lived because it was all of ONE DEGREE outside.
Needless to say, I was in Hell. A stinky Hell to boot. Finally, at FIVE A.M. I announced that I needed to go to bed because all my Diet Pepsi had worn off and I had started to tape things that weren't inert (like my dog) and I was seeing double. They agreed it was time for sleep and I went to bed while they went back down to the basement and (of course) played Nintendo for who knows how long.

Men.

Completed: Basement paint, one-half fixture switch out, and one half of a sitting room.
Still-to-go: Sitting room, dining room, living room, kitchen, crown molding and all electrical fixtures switched. And we only had one more day to do it of course.

And thus ended Day One...

No comments: