Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Are Men Disruptive??

I don't mean that in a bad way. Let me explain. As most of you know, I stay home and take care of our four children, ages 12, 10, 8 and 2. (Yeah, I still chuckle over the gap ;-) I am usually a very busy person. BUT I do have some sort of a "system/schedule" down, that works for me. I know what I have to do during the day, and for the most part, I get it knocked out.

Except when Hubby is home sick. Seriously, I don't get a THING done! Case in point, Hubby (who is back to work today but was sick since Thursday last week) stayed home yesterday. I had lots to do. Errands to the Dry Cleaners, Grocery Store, Car dealership oil change, music store to have a broken trumpet valve fixed, post office. I had to finish my thank-yous and get them in the mail, tidy the house from the weekend, and frankly, I WOULD have gotten it all done...but HUBBY was home. He wanted me to help him pick out Christmas gifts for all his work people. (yes, it's getting to be that time!) He wanted to get caught up on our DVR shows (we're about two weeks behind.) He wanted to plan our post-Thanksgiving Shopping Strategy, Etc. Etc. Etc.

What did I get done yesterday? NOTHING. Well, okay, I went and had the oil changed, but only because I forced Hubby to take a nap before lunch, because I'm 600 miles over my maintenance schedule.

THAT'S IT. I didn't even have time to get on the computer until evening. Granted, it was nice to hang out with Hubby, but I felt bad/off kilter at the same time because I'm used to doing certain things on Mondays, and I DIDN'T. That's why I think Men are disruptive. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoyed our time together yesterday, because it was a rare thing, but I felt anxious because I have so much to DO, and it never seems to get DONE, when Hubby is home from work. Does that make any sense?

I've noticed this same phenomenon during weekends. Does anything *I* need to do, get done? Nope.

Now that things are back to normal, and we're all healthy (thank heaven thank heaven thank heaven knockonwookknockonwoodknockonwood)--I'd better get GOING!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's called independence


Uncle Rob

Devon Ellington said...

You can also say, "No, I have to get these things done first and THEN I'll sit down with you."

Boundaries, my friend, boundaries. You're the one who runs the house. When he's on that turf, he needs to work on YOUR schedule.

At least you had fun, and hopefully, today you can get everything on your list done.

Lee Anne said...

I'm with you. I don't know if they are just physically in the way, they take up time with talking, or what. Love 'em, can't live without 'em but there is going to have to be a serious hobby in place for mine when he retires. Glad all are feeling better. Leave the Motrin and thermometers OUT. I find if I put them away someone immediately comes down with another bug!!

Anonymous said...

Yep. They are MUSE KILLERS too!

Lowa said...

I pretty much ignore mine when he is home. Seriously. I pretend he is not there and let him know I am not there to cater to him. I may offer him some lunch or something, but then carry on as if he is not even there.

Of course, I had three years of practice. He worked from home for that time and as you know, I home school our four kids. He would be in his office downstairs and talking loudly on his conference calls. I do much of the lessons in the Rec Room, right near his office and he would talk so loud, I would have to yell to be heard above him when I was teaching the kids. I would ask him to tone it down, so I did not have to shout and lose my voice:) LOL That sucked.

It has it's perks, but I know JUST what you mean. I am pretty glad he started back to working in an office this past August:) LOL It took some getting used to, but I get SO MUCH MORE done now. I have THREE years to catch up on. The house is so cluttered...arg! Weekends are taken up with hockey stuff...so I try to tackle as much of it as I can during the week, between running kids from Science class, gymnastics, dance lessons, violin, etc etc...