Thursday, October 11, 2007

Sucked into "TWILIGHT"...

So I started reading Stephenie Meyer's book "Twilight" last night while I was cooking Clam Chowder from scratch. Since I write YA, I've always been a YA fan. However, I can see this book appealing to a MUCH wider audience than Young Adults.
In short, I couldn't put it down. I was a big fan of Anne Rice when I was a teenager, and there were elements of this book that were very Anne Rice-like. But I am also always a sucker for a Vampire love story. Who isn't? :-)
I guess what appeals to me most is the author---like myself, is LDS and has three boys. And we're the same age. I'm not sure how she managed to churn out three bestsellers and not completely neglect her children (some people can multi-task I guess) but when I write, I get sucked into the story and neglect everything around me. Maybe she figured out how to do it. But now that I have FOUR kids, my writing time is only at night after they go to bed, or in the morning when Thing Four is napping. And even then, I don't accomplish a third of what I'd like to.
I'm just glad I came late to the game: apparently people have been waiting for the third book in the series to come out--I just went to Target and bought all three. And when I finally finished the book I looked at the clock and it was 12:30 am. I got completely sucked into it.

Thing One is home sick with me--she had a fever this morning. That could not bode well for her. She'll miss soccer practice tonight, and if she still has a fever tomorrow she won't be able to go to the sleepover/birthday party she's been looking forward to for several weeks. Poor Thing One.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's about time management, setting boundaries, and sticking to them. Look at Janet Evanovich and Jill Shalvis -- they both have kids, and look at the amount of work they turn out. Granted, JE's kids are now grown, but her first romance novels were published when they were kids -- she wrote them on her kitchen table. And Jill's got a new book coming out every few months.

I hope Thing One feels better! I'm so glad you keep them home with a fever -- so many parents send their kids out with one around here, and then the kids get really sick and everyone around them gets sick and . . .it's just not good.

Lara said...

HA! I've written on the kitchen table before!

Lynn Sinclair said...

My 14 year old daughter is a huge fan of Meyer's books, and has been urging me to read the series. I'll put her books at the top of the pile.