Tuesday, May 30, 2006

I'm Baaaaaa-aaaaaack!!!

We took off early Friday morning and drove through the Rockies to Utah, and can I say it was breathtakingly gorgeous? Those mountains are amazing. The drive was about six hours, and the kids watched a movie in back with their wireless headphones while Hubby and I listened to Angels and Demons on cd--our favorite Dan Brown.

We also saw Da Vinci Code in Utah, and I have to admit I liked it. I was against Tom Hanks for Robert Langdon, but he did the role well. My favorite was Paul Bettany as Silas--an underrated actor for sure. I just love him! Although every role he takes he seems to always be showing us all his bare bum. Not exactly getting that one.

So, this is how Hubby's family works: We get to his brother's house, (a modest one-level starter home with three bedrooms) and find out that his parents are on their way, and they have invited his sister to come as well (this is news to his brother and his wife) and then for fun, they invite his OTHER brother and his family to come as well.

So, seventeen people were sharing two bathrooms and three bedrooms for three days--with ample use of blow-up mattresses and lots of annoyed waiting ("she's STILL in the bathroom doing her hair? Let's kill her!") yet surprisingly we all got along on the surface. And we had a few tender moments when we put flowers on the graves of the Grandpas and Grandmas who have passed on. It was really neat.

All the cousins got to see each other, and despite the crowded conditions (it was rainy and freezing one day and I have to admit I got claustrophobia/cabin fever) it was fun. Everyone seemed to have an opinion on what we should do about the Curve Ball and I had to stifle the urge to tell them to mind their own business, but in Hubby's family--it IS their business.

WHEW. So we're home now, and I have a gajillion loads of laundry to do and I'm tired, but it was a good thing we got away for a long weekend. Now it's back to normal, and I'm ready for some normalcy. And having three kids as opposed to nine is JUST right. :-)

No comments: