Tuesday, July 05, 2005

4th of July Report...

Quote of the Day: "If you can't be a good example -- then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."--Catherine Aird

Ahhh, my fingers are finally doing what they've been itching to do the past three days: Write something. This three-day weekend was, to say the least, a complete trainwreck.
Not for lack of planning or trying. I had this whole "agenda" worked out--we were going to go to the zoo, the park, swimming, hiking, grilling, watch fireworks, you name it. We were going to go go go and do do do. It was going to be a Three Day Weekend to top all three day weekends.

...and you can just guess what happened. LIFE, apparently...

Thing Two (my six-year old son) started saying that his head hurt on Thursday night. I took his temp, and it was 102. So I gave him Motrin, and hoped it was just one of those "freak fevers" he occasionally gets for one night and is fine the next day.
Well, the next day, the fever continued, and he was lethargic. And his throat hurt, along with his head. I started to give him cold medicine, along with the fever-reducing medicine.

By Saturday morning, he was coughing uncontrollably, crying that his throat and head were killing him, and his fever was still 102. So I got him into the doctor early that morning (thank heaven his regular pediatrician was working--I LOVE this guy).

The prognosis? Strep and Bronchitis. The culture came back positive, and so we had to get about three bottles of that bubble-gum flavored penicillin (which by some miracle, he LOVES to take) and we started the antibiotics.
So, Saturday, we didnt' go anywhere. I told hubby to take the kids to the movie and I would stay home with Thing Two, but apparently hubby decided that he had developed an allergy to the movie Shark Boy and Lava Girl and wouldn't take them. He wanted to watch Wimbledon instead. (Which he deserved because his favorites lost both championships anyway!) So, that day was wasted.

Sundays we usually don't go anywhere but church, so I went by myself with the kids and hubby stayed home with Thing Two (I told him next sunday was HIS turn to go) and we had a boring day.
On Monday (The Fourth) Thing Two felt a little better, but IT POURED RAIN OUTSIDE FROM 7AM TO 7PM. And we're not talking a drizzle, here, folks. We're talking fishhooks and hammer-handles. It was VERY heavy rain and thunder and lighting, and our power even went off at one point, the lightning was so intense.
So, we spent the entire holiday weekend INSIDE (we couldn't even grill for @$&**!! Sakes! We had to broil everything in the @$&**!! oven!) and I never want to see a deck of UNO cards again. Or Candyland, or Chutes & Ladders, or Pretty Pretty Princess. Those board games are getting chucked out of the house first chance I get. UGH.

Now it's back to reality, Thing Two is feeling tired, but better, the weekend was a bust, and my whole house is destroyed. And the sun is out, and it's completely beautiful.

Lovely. I think I'll go shoot myself. After Breakfast.

3 comments:

Michelle Miles said...

Oh you poor thing. There's nothing worse than being sick or having a sick child over a long weekend. (We were all sick over Memorial Day so I feel your pain.)

And at least you guys got some rain. We must live in the desert. It's terribly dry here.

Ann said...

Poor little thing 2. And poor you! What a lousy holiday!

Colin said...

Hope Thing 2 gets better soon! :-)