Friday, March 04, 2005

Stuck In the 80's

QUOTE OF THE DAY: Have you ever noticed? Anybody driving slower than you is an Idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a Maniac.

They’ve been overplaying that song on the radio—the song that basically explains my life in a nutshell—“1985” by Bowling For Soup.
Granted, there are a few differences, for instance I never had aspirations to “shake my ass” on the hood of Whitesnake’s car, but if you changed the group to Duran Duran, I might have considered it. (I think I literally did a Happy Dance when I heard they had reunited)

I am a hopeless product of the 80’s. I still love Depeche Mode, Erasure, Yaz, Thompson Twins, Pet Shop Boys, U2 (before they sold out and became Pepsi-fied), and tons of other 80’s groups that I adored. So, in that vein, I admit I’m still stuck in the 80’s. (Let’s just say my kids know the words to “Our House,” “The Safety Dance” and “Video Killed The Radio Star” by heart.)

I am also in the process of collecting every John Hughes movie ever made, since they completely shaped my life. I even had the “Molly Ringwald Haircut” from the movie “Pretty in Pink” in the mid 80’s.
Another difference would be that I drive a red SUV. But other than that, there you have it. If you listen to the song, it’s the story of my life. I was going to be an actress, I was going to be a world-famous author, travel the world, etc.
In reality, I am a typical Soccer Mom, living quietly in Suburbia, and have been for some time now. I’m turning 33 this year. That seems like an odd age to be, and I am actually starting to feel my youth slipping away somewhat. I feel old. (Somewhere I hear my dear mother sobbing.)

Maybe that’s why I love to write so much. My heroines are bold, feisty, they travel, they fall in passionate love, and they do all the things I want to do. I live vicariously through my characters. I was having this discussion with my sister the other day (who, by the way, at the age of 24, has “lived” enough for at least three lifetimes) and we agreed that writing is a good outlet (I’m a novelist, she’s a poet.)

My hubby, who is in the fashion industry, has said that the 80’s are actually making a comeback. I’ll admit it seems weird to see leg warmers and heavy lip gloss and feathered bangs (not to mention BIG HAIR) again, but I swear on my children, my dog, etc., that you will never, ever see me in a pair of ACID WASH JEANS. Even if they come back big. Even if they’re HUGE. I won’t wear them, ever again. Nope nope nope.

(Then again, in the 80’s, I said the exact same thing about Bellbottoms. And now, I don’t think I own a pair of pants that doesn’t “flare out” somewhat at the bottom.)

Go figure.

3 comments:

Cassaundra said...

funny, when I first heard that song, you're the person that popped into my mind..well, all except the whole part about you shaking your butt! lol

Michelle Miles said...

I'll be 33 this year, too, and I certainly feel it. It sucks. Ahhh.. the 80s... don't forget fluoresent clothing, Strawberry Shortcake, Pac Man, and what else? Too much to name. Yeah, I'm guilty of big hair and feathered bangs. Gaw, what was I thinking?

Colin said...

The 80's were OUT?!?!?!?