Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Murphy's Law Number 84736:

When visiting family you haven't seen in over a year, you will get the stomach flu and not be able to actually DO anything with said family...

Yep, that was me yesterday. I flew into Spokane Sunday, and at least got to spend a lovely evening with the family. But in the morning...yuck. I don't know what I ate, or if it was such an intense migraine that I was violently sick, but I was out for the count yesterday. But it was nice to be curled up with dad's blanket on the sofa (he wasn't too happy about that) all day and watch movies.

Now I'm getting ready to head out for a pedicure, then it's downtown to meet bro and sis for lunch. Hubby and kids are all back in Idaho, and I miss them, but it's been a nice break. They will be on the lake all day anyway today, and I am so fair skinned I always get a burn. Although I will say Hubby's tan looks pretty sexy! Woo! ;-)

ANYWAY, our Fourth of July was funny. Grandpa and the Uncles spent hundreds of $$ on fireworks, and we started setting them off in front of the driveway, with all the cousins and kids lined up to watch. My two-year old insisted on holding a sparkler, so I held it for him, and he grabbed it (of course) so we had an intense moment where we had to run inside and treat a nasty burn streak on his thumb.

So, we start setting of the fireworks, and they're fun, but you can see so many multi-colored fountains and after a while it's not that exciting. And of course we had neighbhors on BOTH sides who had the fireworks they'd bought on the Indian reservation--the almost/slighly illegal ones that are HUGE and shoot into the sky, so the kids were looking at those and they pretty much stole our thunder. But we had fun, the mosquitoes didn't eat us up too much, and then it was banana splits and watching Transformers. (the first one, because it was 12:30 am and we had lots of little kids).

I love being with family for the holidays. Yeah, we have drama, and it makes things...interesting sometimes, but your family is your family. Hubby and I can't wait to get back home, though, and get some rest from our vacation. Yeah, I wrote that correctly! ;-)

Have a happy Tuesday, all!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope you had a fun lunch!

Lowa said...

Glad you feel better!

SPOKANE!?!? That is only 5 hours east of me and I will be there on the 17th. COOL!

I know what you mean about the sparkler/fireworks stuff. Hubby always goes up to the Res and buys there and then shoots them off illegally here. ARG! Ticks me off every dang year!

Anonymous said...

Feel better soon.

I learned a long time ago to build in extra days to my travel to rest from vacation!

Michelle Miles said...

Hope you're feeling better now! It sounds like you had a great 4th.

And yeah - rest from vacation is always a necessity. I'm taking a couple of extra days myself. :D