Friday, May 30, 2008

And We're Back At The Doctor's Again.

Status: Relieved. No stitches!

Last night we had a scare--the kids were watching Scooby Doo in the theater room, and like typical kids they weren't watching the movie at all, just running around and jumping on the furniture. Well, apparently Thing Three (who is seven) fell and scraped his face against the sofa. He didn't come crying to us or anything, so we never knew it happened.

Cut to bedtime, when we are tucking the kids in, and I see Thing Three brushing his teeth in the bathroom and he's getting a black eye. I tell him to come over so I can look at it, and Hubby comes to see, too, and he closes his eye so we can have a look and his eyelid is completely laid open. It was cut all the way across. In a word, it was gross.
Unfortunately his brother's knee-jerk reaction was to recoil and make a horrified noise, so naturally it put Thing Three in a panic.

That's the first thing I learned about treating boo-boos: if they THINK it's bad, they will freak out. You always have to play down the injury, or you'll have a panicked kid on your hands and that is not a good thing.

I whisked him downstairs and cleaned the cut and put neosporin on it, it was late so we put him to bed. Luckily I got into the dr. at 9:15 this morning, and she said he was lucky it was cut in the crease. It will heal better, and he doesn't need stitches, Thank Heaven.
I just dropped him off at school. Hopefully it will heal all right.

I noticed the Dr. asked him random questions about the injury: what movie was he watching at the time? What sort of sofa was it? etc. etc. She was probably making sure it wasn't a "story." I'm sure she's seen enough abused kids to need to ask those sorts of questions. Sad.

So the baby is down, and I'm going to take advantage of the time to get some writing in. I've narrowed it down to Mexico and Guatemala, for my lost city. I'm thinking Cholula. No idea why. Geographically, it works for what I want to do plotwise. We'll see how it turns out!

Have a good weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Lowa said...

Wow, the poor kid! I know what you mean about the Dr. asking those questions. It is extremely sad that she has to do that.

Hope he feels better!

Lowa said...

Whoa, sorry. This is LOWA, btw. From Muddled Ponderings. Trying to make a new blog so my kids won't find it and it is still a mess and I have to get time to tune things!

Anonymous said...

Glad Thing Three is okay. HOw scary!

It's the same with actors - you speak quietly and calmly and say, 'Okay, don't worry, we're taking care of it. Can you breathe? Can you move X? Can you feel this?"

Yeah, dressing is often similar to parenting, believe it or not!

I'm glad the doctor cared enough to ask the questions, in this day and age.

sorry you all had to go through it.

Glad you found your location!

Aimee said...

Yep...been there with the questions. I took Whitney in for stitches two times in 4 months. And the second time she really DID fall down the stairs. The second time was such a gusher that to this day, her big sister won't have anything to do blood.